White Vinegar In OWB?

White Vinegar In OWB?

Postby burnrite228 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:49 pm

Friend of mine told me he puts vinegar in with his water to his stove once a year to prevent scale up. Said he uses both boiler treatment and vinegar with no issues. He has yet to have any scale up in his yearly flush. Just wondering if this is safe on mild steel stoves? Thanks
burnrite228

OWB Brand: Burnrite
OWB Model: 228

Re: White Vinegar In OWB?

Postby WillieG » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:55 pm

white vinegar contains acetic acid and will (if the dose is right) lower ph in the boiler water
"Welcome to your site"!!! Whether your a new or former OWF member we want you to feel at home. As you look around you will recognize some familiar names, including your moderators. We created this site to maintain the friendship without the worries of who the owner is or what his intentions are. In short, we don't have any secrets! So keep it clean and post away. We'll be here for you!!
WillieG

OWB Brand: home made
OWB Model: not very often, you?

Postby BoilerHouse » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:35 pm

The best boiler water pH is around 9.0 (alkaline). Lower pH may result in less scale but it will tend to cause increased corrosion. Best to stick with normal reputable water treatment. It offers the best protection.
BoilerHouse

OWB Brand: Home made
OWB Model: Fire and Water Tube

Postby WillieG » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:43 pm

i was just posting what was in the vinegar... i cut my ten year old stove open and posted pictures here of it...no scale or corrosion on the inside of water jacket or the water side of the fire box...it was 10 years old, used water treatment the first 2 years, nothing after that, only well water that i never checked. i was always going to check it but never did..i guess i will run up and check it right now.....here is the result of the ph test..PH 9.4 hardness low...alkalinity high

that is all my tester tests.
"Welcome to your site"!!! Whether your a new or former OWF member we want you to feel at home. As you look around you will recognize some familiar names, including your moderators. We created this site to maintain the friendship without the worries of who the owner is or what his intentions are. In short, we don't have any secrets! So keep it clean and post away. We'll be here for you!!
WillieG

OWB Brand: home made
OWB Model: not very often, you?

Return to General Outdoor Wood Boiler Discussion