Wood gas truck

Wood gas truck

Postby MattyNH » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:10 pm

Anyone ever seen a truck powered 100% wood gas?..Watched Doomsday Preppers on Nat. Geo Channel..Guy had a set up in the back of his truck bed..Piped the wood gas to the intake of the engine..Truck runs!..I googled it and theres a few you tube videos of wood gas truck...Guy also had a nice set up of a CB OWB..Heats his home with it and also uses the water for a dehumidifier to make beef jerky ..Neat set up
MattyNH

OWB Brand: Aqua-Therm
OWB Model: S-275

Re: Wood gas truck

Postby WillieG » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:27 pm

i believe during the second world war there were many many vehicles run on wood gas. most of austrailia ran on wood gas during this time and over 1,000,000 vehicles were powered by wood gas due to fuel shortages in war time

here is a link to some real good photos and how it works

http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2010/01/ ... -cars.html
"Welcome to your site"!!! Whether your a new or former OWF member we want you to feel at home. As you look around you will recognize some familiar names, including your moderators. We created this site to maintain the friendship without the worries of who the owner is or what his intentions are. In short, we don't have any secrets! So keep it clean and post away. We'll be here for you!!
WillieG

OWB Brand: home made
OWB Model: not very often, you?

Postby mcarter » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:49 pm

WillieG wrote:i believe during the second world war there were many many vehicles run on wood gas. most of austrailia ran on wood gas during this time and over 1,000,000 vehicles were powered by wood gas due to fuel shortages in war time

here is a link to some real good photos and how it works

http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2010/01/ ... -cars.html

At first glance, I thought the yellow car was a Chevy Chevette. That Opel is real chick magnet! :lol:
"Welcome to your site"!!! Whether your a new or former OWF member we want you to feel at home. As you look around you will recognize some familiar names, including your moderators. We created this site to maintain the friendship without the worries of who the owner is or what his intentions are. In short, we don't have any secrets! So keep it clean and post away. We'll be here for you!!
mcarter

OWB Brand: HeatMasterSS
OWB Model: MF5000e

Postby MattyNH » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:54 pm

Thanks for the link! Neat pictures and info..I wonder if that technology will ever come back considering gas and oil prices continue to climb..Electric has it limits..After all wood is renewable and green energy
MattyNH

Postby Bull » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:58 am

I have been checking into this for a while and thought that if you could get some of the wood gas from your OWB gasser you could run a small generator to work your pump and blower. FEMA put out plans on building one of these for emergency use.
Bull

OWB Brand: Central Boiler
OWB Model: 4436

Postby MattyNH » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:35 am

That guy on the show that i saw he also had a generator that ran off of wood gas..He would park the wood gas truck next to the generator, take a pipe and connect the wood gas truck to the generator and away he went.. Has power lol.. I bet its possible to take wood gas from the owb to run a small generator..Not sure how you would do it..Man that would be neat..
MattyNH

Postby mcarter » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:49 am

Here are some interesting links you might appreciate:

http://www.tegpower.com/
You could harness the wasted flue gas to operate one of those and thet also have a diagram of a unit with hot oil in/out and cool water in/out here: http://www.tegpower.com/pro7.htm

Another cool project is here:
http://www.otherpower.com/steamengine.shtml

Enjoy your coffee over those reads!

Michael
mcarter

OWB Brand: HeatMasterSS
OWB Model: MF5000e

Return to General Outdoor Wood Boiler Discussion